Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Terrific Transitions

I originally heard about using a music box for behavior management from a friend when I was in the credential program.  The idea was to wind the music box every morning.  When you needed the kids' attention or they were being too loud you opened the box.  The music would play and children would magically pay attention... I'm only being half-sarcastic.  If there was music left in the box at the end of the day the kids would get a letter for a secret message (think Wheel of Fortune).  Once they solved the puzzle, they would get the prize that the puzzle spelled (extra recess, popsicle party...).  If they ran out of music during the day they lost their letter.  Also, I would rewind the box during the day if they ran out of music and that was their music for the rest of the day AND the next day!  Bummer for them...  I used it for a couple years and then it kind of went by the wayside when my music box bit the dust.  =(  sad day.

Since then, I've tried clapping patterns, counting down, "One, Two, Three, Eyes on me...", "Class, Class?", ... you name it, I've tried it.

Anyway, I'm thinking of bringing the whole thing back.  But I think I like how Kris at I {Heart} Teaching does it better....  At any rate, she does a much better job of explaining her way.  =)  What do you think?  What transition tactic works best for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment