Saturday, September 24, 2011

Colorful Seating

You've probably seen this idea ALL over Pinterest.  I have too.  So I finally got together with a Crafty Chica (Hi Julie!) and we made these awesome little crate seats for around our reading tables.  Here's the link to some step-by-step instructions that we found very helpful.  A couple more suggestions:

a.  Find someone to fund your wood.  (Not gonna say it, Julie).  My Father-In-Law was kind enough to go to Lowes, buy the 3/4" sheet of plywood, and then have them cut it to size for me.  I don't know how much it cost (I didn't ask...) but they WILL cut it for free for you if you are a teacher.  He just told them it was for my classroom.  Thanks Dan!  BTW, one sheet of plywood gave us 21 squares!  Just remember to BRING YOUR CRATE WITH YOU when they cut the wood.  Otherwise they may not fit perfectly.

b.  Walmart had a 7-pack of "fat quarters" for around $10.  I LOATHE Walmart... but it was a good deal and  I was already there.  Take the time to iron your fabric before staple gunning it.  It looks so much nicer without the huge crease in it.

c.  Test out the height of your crates vs. the height of your reading table before your kids come in.  I didn't and my kids all ended up at eyebrow level with the edge of my table... cute, yes.  Practical, no.  Although they did LOVE kneeling on them for the rest of the day.  Point:  Lower your table.  =)

My first crate seat!

Julie did animal print to match her classroom decor.  Sassy!

My rainbow seats.




1 comment:

  1. Colorful seating attracts the kids and give joy to them. Small kids are tend to attract to the colorful things. So its having a good look.

    Christmas Treasure Hunt

    ReplyDelete